Over the last couple of weeks, I've managed to catch up with all the superhero movies that came out this summer.
- Hellboy 2: The worst of the lot; Insipid hollywood-ized version with poor direction, bad editing and a lacklustre story. Stay away from it.
- The Incredible Hulk: aka Hulk 2, I had no idea that the actors had been changed ... Edward Norton was stereotyped as per usual and Liv Tyler wasn't half as good as Jennifer Connelly. Is it just me or is she borderline chubby now? Give it a miss unless you're a fan of the series.
- Iron Man: A tie for second place along with the new Batman, Iron Man was surprisingly good, at least for the first half. The second half was well below par, with the scriptwriter not knowing what to do with this here superhero and thereby ruining the movie. However, Robert Downey Jr. was the clincher and elevated this movie to a "good". Based on the post-credits clip from The Incredible Hulk, it looks like the next movie will be Hulk vs. Iron Man which should be interesting albeit, with the end result obvious to everybody beforehand.
- Dark Knight: Very good, but also highly overrated. Joker was great and the storyline was decent. However, Bale was average and the lack of Katie Holmes stung. I am probably one of the few who prefers the first part.
- WALL-E: ... and the winner by a country mile, Pixar's WALL-E. The CG was great as per usual, but the storyline and characterisation took the cake. Nobody wants to miss this one as it's definitely one of Pixar's best.