Upgrading KTorrent from 3.1.2 to 3.2 RC1 on Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid with KDE 4.2:
- Install cmake and related tools:
sudo apt-get install cmake automoc build-essential gettext
- Install other required libraries:
sudo apt-get install kdelibs5-dev libqca2-dev libgmp3-dev kdebase-workspace-dev kdepimlibs5-dev libkrosspython0 libkrossruby0
- Remove the existing ktorrent installation as a precaution:
sudo apt-get remove ktorrent. This should not affect your configuration files.
- Download the Ktorrent source code from Ktorrent.org. In this case, I downloaded 3.2RC1.
- Extract it to a subdirectory named ktorrent (in your home directory).
- Open a terminal and navigate into the ktorrent directory.
/usr is the base directory for your KDE4 installation in Intrepid.
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
make. This might take a while.
. This should install the compiled program in the appropriate directories.
sudo make install
to refresh the plugins. Do this again if KTorrent does not detect the new plugins.
- Run the program and test things out. If you need to uninstall this compiled program, type
to do so.
sudo make uninstall
If necessary, you can also do this with source code checked out from the KTorrent subversion repository.
Update: This should also work for 3.2 final.
Update: 3.2.1 also has a new optional dependency for libtag1-dev . Install this prior to the cmake using
sudo apt-get install libtag1-dev.