So, I've started plugging my headphone into my monitor's headphone jack rather than the analog audio ports in my CPU and there's been a drastic reduction in the volume levels. The volume is often insufficient even when everything in my volume settings is maxed out. Here are a couple of things to try out in KDE/Kubuntu/Linux that might help alleviate the situation.
Today, I started dabbling in doing some screen recording in Linux and while I could find programs to record the screen, I couldn't get the audio working as I wanted. By default, the programs record either the system audio, or the mic audio (or if the program is shit, neither); they don't record both the system audio and the mic audio. The fix for this on my Kubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) system which uses the Pulseaudio system to manage audio is as follows:
So I've been having trouble getting a Windows program to work in Wine (Windows emulator) on my Kubuntu 16.04 system. It's a simple program but one that requires .NET 3.5. Considering its simplicity, I thought that it'd work fine using just Mono and it did fire up. However, it wasn't terribly usable throwing constant errors and being very buggy. So I had to also install .NET 3.5.
Edit: Skip this and scroll down for a proper fix!
Just tried installing MongoDB support for PHP on Kubuntu 15.10 via pecl and ran into the following error message which caused the installation to fail:
configure: error: Cannot find OpenSSL's libraries
While this can probably be fixed using some magickery, in my case, I did not want SSL support on a dev server. I just wanted to get the fucker up and running. To this end, I discovered that the issue was that I was using:
So I upgraded my Linux box to the latest Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf!) and it's been an interesting few days ironing out niggles. One of them has been the missing partition manager icon which (IIRC) was present in 14.04 and where I could control which partitions were automounted at login. From the looks of it, there is no easy solution for this like installing a package or some weird Plasma widget. The only solution I was provided on IRC was the following roundabout-borderline-hack:
So if you've just installed or upgraded to the new version of Kubuntu (Wily Werewolf), you will notice that Skype runs fine but does not appear in the system tray as an icon. The workaround to fix this is to install the sni-qt package, but specifically the 32-bit version of the package (as Skype is a 32-bit app). To do this, open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install sni-qt:i386
This will also install a dependency. Once this is installed, quit Skype and restart it to find the familiar green check in your system tray.
So here I was happy with my installation of program foo.exe under Wine in Linux (Kubuntu if you must know). All of a sudden, the program starts whining a little, wobbling a touch, and generally exhibiting wonky tendencies. While I could have uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem, there's a neater solution that is only available for Wine users.
I was looking for a way to add a custom context (right-click) menu to KDE's Dolphin (in Kubuntu 14.10, Utopic) that (much like in Windows) would allow me to enqueue an entire folder/directory in Videolan. Many of the examples that I looked at were rather sketchy or incomplete. Here's a simple working example that might be of help to someone else out there. You can modify it appropriately to get it working for other applications as well.
A quick and easy way to join or merge multiple PDFs together on Linux (Kubuntu 14.10):
pdfunite toc.pdf chapter1.pdf chapter2.pdf book.pdf
This doesn't resample pages or any other nonsense like that either :) pdfunite is provided by the poppler-utils package which should already be installed.
If you want to do the opposite, i.e. split a unified PDF file into multiple ones, poppler-utils also provides the aptly named pdfseparate.
Hope this helps :)
So, I am often SSH'd into a remote server from my Kubuntu desktop. I also rarely switch off my desktop and prefer to just hit sleep instead. One of the things that can be annoying when I resume the desktop is that the previous SSH session is now unresponsive/frozen as SSH believes that it is still connected to the remote server while the server has given up on the old session long ago. No amount of CTRL + C or CTRL + Z banging is going to terminate the session which can take an inordinately long wait to time out.