If you, like moi, just upgraded to Intrepid Ibex, and found that your VLC doesn't work any more, this here is the fix:
- Right click on an audio/video file and select properties.
- Click the edit icon (spanner) to get to the options page.
- Select VLC media player in the application list and click the edit button on the right.
- Select the application tab on the top and look for the command wxvlc on this page.
- Change wxvlc to just vlc. Click OK a few times to save the changes.
... and that's it.
Hope this helps :)