Non-destructive healing allows you to "heal" the pixels of an image using a separate, dedicated layer so that you can undo or modify your changes at a later point in time. In (Photoshop and) GIMP, this essentially works by performing the heal on an empty layer using the Sample Merged option which allows you to perform the heal as if all the layers were merged together. While this works fine with the clone function, it is broken for healing in GIMP (2.8) due to this bug :(
Here I was simply creating a MySQL (5.5) table when suddenly up pops the following error:
#1071 - Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes
After a little trial and error, I found that since one of my
VARCHAR fields was being used for a UNIQUE index, MySQL was basically telling me that it was using too much space. When I reduced the length of this field from its initial 512 setting to 256 & then 255, it still complained. However, reducing it further to 128 fixed the issue!
For the last few weeks, I've noticed weird red dots/lines or similar marks on my Kubuntu screen. I'd attributed them to a graphics issue that I'd recently sorted out, particularly because I was mainly noticing these marks when resuming the system from sleep mode. Turns out I was wrong. Very wrong.
So, I am often SSH'd into a remote server from my Kubuntu desktop. I also rarely switch off my desktop and prefer to just hit sleep instead. One of the things that can be annoying when I resume the desktop is that the previous SSH session is now unresponsive/frozen as SSH believes that it is still connected to the remote server while the server has given up on the old session long ago. No amount of CTRL + C or CTRL + Z banging is going to terminate the session which can take an inordinately long wait to time out.
This has happened to me on a number of occasions where I've found that my system audio only plays when I switch to a different tty. I don't know exactly how to duplicate the issue . But essentially, if I switch from my Kubuntu 14.10 KDE desktop to a different tty (using something like CtrlAltF5) and then switch back to the KDE tty, I find that I can hear no audio. However, if I switch again to the command-line tty, I can hear that audio that ought to have been playing in KDE. Rather weird, huh?
I can sometimes be rather picky (some would say 'anal') when I write, for example, an e-mail. I get annoyed if I have to resort to typing three periods for an ellipsis rather than achieving it with just the one character. Doing something with one character instead of three is also a skill that has carved itself a niche in this age of Twitter. So how would one go about it?
So I've had a graphics issue with my Kubuntu box which relies on an Intel motherboard. While I was hoping to put off the fix until the next version of Kubuntu (out in April), the display bug was getting to be really annoying. I therefore decided to upgrade to the latest kernel immediately.
So I upgraded my Kubuntu box's kernel to 3.19 and while that fixed my graphics issues, I ran into a new and peculiar issue where hovering over links in Google Chrome failed to display the linked addresses in the bottom of the screen (the status bar). This is apparently a known (Chromium) bug which has still not been resolved. The current recommended workaround is to disable and re-enable hardware acceleration as follows:
While using Google Chrome on Kubuntu 14.10, the display hung for about 5 seconds before unfreezing with the following notification:
Desktop effects were restarted due to a graphics reset
Once this began occurring with an increasing frequency, I began to do a little digging. Looking through
/var/log/kern.log brought the following up:
Eclipse Luna: java: /build/buildd/gtk2-engines-oxygen-1.4.5/src/animations/oxygencomboboxdata.cpp:87: void Oxygen::ComboBoxData::setButton(GtkWidget*): Assertion `!_button._widget' failed.
After installing the shiny new version of Eclipse entitled 'Luna' on a Kubuntu 14.10 box, I found that it crashed/hung when trying to import/clone a Git repository. Starting the application from the command-line triggered the following notice before the crash: