I ran into a hitch while trying to install the latest version of TortoiseSVN on my XP 64-bit Windows installation. Apparently, the entire world has forgotten about the existence of this variety of Windows. There's absolutely no mention of it anywhere on TortoiseSVN's installer page. The MSI installer failed stating that the version of Windows Installer that I was using was dated and that I needed to update my version of XP (x86) to SP3 or some other drivel like that. TortoiseSVN has no manual install option either. I did the whole Windows Update thing as well, to no avail.
I've got Kubuntu running my HTPC and XBMC starting up in full screen on boot. Besides XBMC's remotes which I operate from an Android tablet, I also use a VNC client on said tablet to connect to the HTPC to operate other programs. As a VNC server, I've got krfb also starting up on boot which is where my problem lies. krfb does not start minimised in the system tray. There is also no option to get it to do so in its configuration screen.
Here is a guide on how I have krfb configured to start it minimised.
I'm trying to VNC into my Kubuntu box using Jump Desktop from my Android tablet. All works well and everything is quite peachy. Everything that is, except for typing with the keyboard. Typing anything results in letters being displayed in capitals. Using the SHIFT key in the Android keyboard does fuck all. However, when I connected a keyboard to the Kubuntu box and pressed the CAPS LOCK key, my Android keyboard started typing in smalls.
Instead of having to look up the exact syntax for pscp every time, here's a list of examples for future reference. In these examples, I'm transferring a file (
bar.zip) from a Windows host to a Linux server (with the destination path of
MySQL encoding error: Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, a <...' for column 'body' at row 3
While performing a CSV import recently, I ran into the following error messages:
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, a <...' for column 'body' at row 3
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE6. He ...' for column 'body' at row 24
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, and...' for column 'body' at row 26
The first message was triggered due to the accented é in the word, protegé, in the input. The rest of the field was not imported. The others were similarly triggered.
During imports and stuff, it's imperative that all steps utilise the same encoding/character set. If a text file is not using the preferred encoding, we can use Vim to change it during its save action as follows:
or if you want to save it to a different file and leave the current file unchanged:
:w ++enc=utf-8 newfile.txt
Just now while attempting to perform a substitution in GVim, I found that the regex was not working as expected. Apparently, instead of matching all non-whitespace characters denoted by the shorthand class
\S, the engine was matching the letter S instead, which was odd. It turns out that, as usual, I was the one at fault. What I was doing wrong was attempting to use the character class within
Earlier today, I had to perform a substitution in Gvim within a 2GB file. Unfortunately, after a few thousand operations, Vim ran out of memory with the following error:
Out of memory!
Out of memory! (allocating XXX bytes)
Windows too complained about running out of virtual memory and my system slowed down to treacle-like response times.
KTorrent on the LTS release of Kubuntu—Precise Pangolin aka 12.04—is perfectly fine except for the fact that it comes only with version 4.1. Unfortunately, this package is missing a few features that I was looking for, especially the option to add magnet links via its web interface.
Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.3 (the latest version at the time of writing) is pretty straightforward if one is happy to accept PPA sources.