Freeplane, a fork of the mind-mapping program, Freemind, works really well. Except for the fact that in my (K)Ubuntu installation, it sometimes hangs in the middle of editing a node. Once it becomes non-responsive, the only fix is to kill the process and restart the program. The version of Freeplane in Ubuntu 18.04 is 1.6.13. However, the current version (March 2019) of Freeplane is 1.7.7. So, it's highly possible that upgrading Freeplane to the latest version will fix this issue.
So I've had a graphics issue with my Kubuntu box which relies on an Intel motherboard. While I was hoping to put off the fix until the next version of Kubuntu (out in April), the display bug was getting to be really annoying. I therefore decided to upgrade to the latest kernel immediately.
I ran into the following error while running a script that was performing backups of files via rsync over ssh.
Setting the timezone of an Ubuntu (14.04, Trusty) or Debian (7, Wheezy) server from the command-line is simple. Just run
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata and follow the on-screen prompts. However, if you are running an unattended installation, you might want to avoid interactive prompts and just gets the job done. To do this, simply run
$ sudo ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Anchorage /etc/localtime
/usr/share/zoneinfo/ to locate your timezone.
So, here I was writing a script that would automate the installation of a package in Ubuntu 14.04 and all was going swimmingly. Until I ran it. You know how some apt-get installs sometimes involve a technicolor pop-up that asks you for stuff? Well, those pop-ups interrupted my script which didn't proceed further. After much digging, I found that there are a couple of solutions for this:
bash: cannot set terminal process group (3987): Inappropriate ioctl for device bash: no job control in this shell
On a new Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) LTS server, I ran into the following:
$ su -c /bin/bash foo
bash: cannot set terminal process group (3987): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
su procedure worked and I was logged in as user foo.
I ran into the following error (or something like it) while setting up Drupal's xmlsitemap module:
public://xmlsitemap/lOtsOfgoBBlDegOOk not found or not writable
This is as expected some kind of permissions issue. Why the module can't sort this on its own, I do not know. As with everything Drupal, clear the cache first to see if that fixes things. It sometimes does. If not, you will need to get your hands dirty on the commandline (if linux):
Here are some postfix queue management commands that I find myself using regularly (on an Ubuntu server):
Fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS: After installed SSHD, I found that logging in remotely was a time-consuming process as the password prompt took ages to pop up after the username prompt. Binging about, I found that this was due to SSHD performing a reverse DNS lookup of my IP to potentially check if all is kosher. Turning this check off fixes the issue:
Installing Aegir 2 on a fresh install of Ubuntu Saucy in a Virtualbox, I ran into the following message:
The drush command '@hostmaster pm-enable hosting_queued' could not be found.
To fix this run,
sudo mysql_secure_installation and ensure that you remove anonymous users. This should do the trick.