One of my laptops which is running on Kubuntu Lucid decided to stop connecting to my network today. I found that the KDE network-manager applet (or is it a plasmoid? :S) had decided to disable itself. Clicking it stated so with no option to re-enable it (nice UI, boys). Getting to the commandline and starting the
network-manager service did not help. I also found that accessing the
System settings networking configuration gave me corrupt XML file errors.
So, off - as I frequently do on this site - I went to make an offering to the Search Engine Deities of today and came back with the explanation that this was caused due to corruption triggered by placing the laptop in "sleep mode". The fix is to:
- Get to the command line.
- Delete a network-manager "lock" file using
sudo rm -f /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state.
- Restart the service through
sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
That did the trick for me and hopefully will for you too!