So I had to upload an SVG flowchart which looked great on my computer. However, when accessed from the server, certain text elements were displayed as large black boxes. This was happening only with converted PNGs of the SVG as the SVG itself rendered just fine. I initially thought that this was some kinda font issue. But apparently not. This happens because Inkscape's SVGs are not always valid and in this case, uses something called a flowRoot element which is not valid SVG.
Non-destructive healing allows you to "heal" the pixels of an image using a separate, dedicated layer so that you can undo or modify your changes at a later point in time. In (Photoshop and) GIMP, this essentially works by performing the heal on an empty layer using the Sample Merged option which allows you to perform the heal as if all the layers were merged together. While this works fine with the clone function, it is broken for healing in GIMP (2.8) due to this bug :(
So I upgraded my Kubuntu box's kernel to 3.19 and while that fixed my graphics issues, I ran into a new and peculiar issue where hovering over links in Google Chrome failed to display the linked addresses in the bottom of the screen (the status bar). This is apparently a known (Chromium) bug which has still not been resolved. The current recommended workaround is to disable and re-enable hardware acceleration as follows:
I recently upgraded a Motorola Defy to use CyanogenMod 7.2 as Motorola was not going to upgrade the phone from Froyo to Gingerbread. While the upgrade went reasonably smoothly and the phone is working well albeit with a few quirks, there was a major issue that I ran into recently. The phone loses its signal when it's roaming. Fixing this basically involves installing an (unsigned) app named Baseband Switcher, and setting the correct baseband for the phone.
Off late, I have had to use OpenOffice.org's Calc quite regularly. While it generally works quite well, it has a lot of wonky little bugs that can be quite frustrating. One of these has to do with the autofilter.
When using the autofilter, you will, on occasion find that once you are done using it and try to remove it, a number of rows, usually empty, will be missing post-removal. The following are steps/tools that might help you recover these rows:
If you encounter issues with WinAMP not reporting the length of the song in the playlist, it is very likely that the mp3 is corrupt. However, in some cases, this could be due to a bug in WinAMP (I'm using v5.34) disliking unicode characters in the ID3 tags. In my case, an mp3 with the artist's name tagged as Dvořák - diacritics and all and especially the caronned (sic) r - was not gettings its song length displayed next to its title.
Removing the diacritic would have "fixed" the problem. But, I actually left it as it was.