So I upgraded my Kubuntu box's kernel to 3.19 and while that fixed my graphics issues, I ran into a new and peculiar issue where hovering over links in Google Chrome failed to display the linked addresses in the bottom of the screen (the status bar). This is apparently a known (Chromium) bug which has still not been resolved. The current recommended workaround is to disable and re-enable hardware acceleration as follows:
- Click on the Chrome menu on the top right (three horizontal lines) and choose Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Show advanced settings....
- Now, scroll again to the bottom and look for the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox. Uncheck it.
- Chrome will advise you to restart the browser. Do so.
- Once you restart, check if the status bar now appears when you hover over a link. It should.
- Repeat these steps and re-enable the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox.
- Restart the browser again and you will find that the status bar continues to appear on hover!
- Express wonder at the mysteries of life and rejoice.
Hope this helps!