I'm not sure whether it was something I did, something that the Vim developers did, or an anomaly with the Windows 7 binary, but I could no longer see the line number and cursor position tracker in the bottom right of my interface. Looking at the menus, I could find nothing. I could turn on a line number prefix for each bleeding line, but this is not what I was after.
Every now and then, I find the need to shutdown my PC automatically at a specified time for some reason or the other. In my most recent case, I needed to shut my Windows 7 PC down at 8am in the morning anticipating a scheduled power shutdown in my block. While there are many GUI-based applications out there that could do this for me, I chanced upon a simpler solution detailed below:
I tried searching for something in Chrome a few minutes ago and found that my search was being handled by something sinisterly named Facemoods. Aghast, a few more checks confirmed that I had a toolbar installed on my system of the same name, the Chrome search engine was set to Facemoods by default and that I had an extension installed as well. A little more digging revealed that all this was jDownloader's fault as it installs the toolbar during its own installation process. Not good.
Removing all this junk involves the following steps:
Some people like to indent their code using TABs. I used to like doing this. I still think that it's a good idea. But circumstances have dictated for the past several years that I need to indent using spaces instead. My favourite command-line editor in Linux and text editor in Windows is VIM / Gvim (where Gvim is basically Vim with a GUI). To configure this editor to override its default and use spaces instead of TABs for indentation, perform the following steps:
I had to reinstall W7 yesterday and after some initial setup shenanigans, I found that the best feature of Windows 7 - the Start Menu program search field - was missing. These things are usually sorted via the Customize option which can be reached by right-clicking the Start Menu. However, I could find no option for the search field. After much hemming and hawing around, I decided to retrace my steps during the initial setup that I did and wonder upon wonder, organised strategies do work!
So, if you, like me, have to resort to PuTTY sometimes to SSH into a Linux box, I'm sure that you have also subjected yourself to much gnashing of teeth at the lack of a Windows solution to password-less logins into your server. For the uninitiated, password-less SSH allows you to log into a server without manually authenticating yourself.
PHP provides a number of different versions for install in Windows. There are versions which are tagged with VC6 and other with VC9. There are also thread-safe and non-thread-safe versions of the installer available for download. After some digging and trial & error fiddlery, my conclusion is that VC9 and non-thread-safe are for the Microsoft IIS webserver while the VC6 and thread-safe installers are for Apache and other non-IIS webservers.
Hope this helps :)
I was up to no good on mIRC earlier today and found my screen full of message and fserv tabs/windows. While it certainly is fun clicking away at each window and closing it manually, that would only be if I had some sick fascination with RSI. A little digging unearthed a few commands that helped alleviate the process:
When (re)installing httpd today, I ran into the following error message:
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
When I attempted to make a commit using TortoiseSVN today, I was told that there was a problem and that I would have to run the
cleanup command to sort things out. Running the command, however, resulted in the following further error message:
Cleanup failed to process the following paths: