One of my local servers died a quiet death last week. Much as I tried to revive the li'l bitch, she refused to accede to my plaintive entreaties. She is now consigned to a forlorn corner and I am yet to see to her last rites. In the meantime, I have recently introduced a new addition to my family of servers through the cannibalisation of older (and now retired) members of the same. So, I settled on trying to see if I could save the soul of my now recently defunct Kubuntu box by simply transferring its hard drive to this new server. When I tried to do so, this is what transpired:
Even when compared to the simplicity of Windows 7's shutdown function, Linux goes a step further in flexibility and ease of use. Shutting down a system at 8 AM in Linux is as easy as saying
shutdown 8:00 in a terminal. To explicitly state that the system should power down after shutting down, we would expand it to
shutdown -h 8:00. Alternatively, if we want to perform a reboot, the switch would change to
shutdown -r 8:00.
If you administer or program websites etc., you often find yourself wondering what the specifics of a particular website or its server are. For e.g., you might want to know if a server is running on Linux, or if a site is based on Drupal or Mambo. The following sites all assist in this endeavour:
I had to reinstall W7 yesterday and after some initial setup shenanigans, I found that the best feature of Windows 7 - the Start Menu program search field - was missing. These things are usually sorted via the Customize option which can be reached by right-clicking the Start Menu. However, I could find no option for the search field. After much hemming and hawing around, I decided to retrace my steps during the initial setup that I did and wonder upon wonder, organised strategies do work!
I've previously written a short tip on how to perform batch rename operations using
xargs. One of the issues with xargs is that it breaks down when dealing with filenames which include spaces as it assumes that each word in the filename is a separate argument.
If you've upgraded Drupal recently and noticed that the admin page is empty and returns a
You do not have any administrative items error message, then this basically means that your menu table is a little wonky. Another tell-tale sign that you've got the same problem as I did is that the admin page will have the title, Administer rather than Administration. Fixing this is pretty straightforward, if a little painstaking. To do so, make sure that the Menu module is enabled and perform the following steps:
If you ever run into a
git-receive-pack not permitted error when using Git, chances are that it's a configuration issue on your end. In my case, I had cloned the repository using via https (which required authentication). However, pushing failed with the aforementioned error. This was due to the fact that I was only allowed to push via SSH. Therefore, once I changed the protocol in the configuration for my checkout, all was well again.
Finding all the members of a group is an occasional requirement and while there are a number of ways to do this by parsing the
/etc/password files, Debian/Ubuntu come with a simpler solution that performs all this skulduggery for you. This is the
members function that can simply be installed using
sudo apt-get install members . Once this is done, members of a group named
foo can be listed using:
While checking the logs of my server, I ran into the following errors:
May 11 18:00:04 named: zone example.com/IN: NS 'ns1.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
May 11 18:00:04 named: zone example.com/IN: NS 'ns2.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
May 11 18:00:04 named: zone example.com/IN: NS 'ns3.example.com' has no address records (A or AAAA)
I ran into the same errors when I checked the zone files themselves using:
Earlier today, I noticed - in htop - that a particular process, let's say 'foo-123', was running even though I had removed the package 'foo' many days earlier. I tried removing it again and found that I was right and that the package had already been removed. The package dependency list was way too long for me to go removing them one by one, or parsing them out and removing the lot.