Here are the steps I used to get X11VNC working on an Ubuntu (19.10) box. Hope this helps somebody else out there too.
- Install x11vnc using something like
sudo apt install x11vnc
- Create a password to access X11VNC and store it in the /etc/ directory.
sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass
- Here's a tricky/dodgy bit from a security point of view. You will need to assign appropriate permissions to this x11vnc.pass file. For my local needs I just set it to readable by all using
sudo chmod a+r /etc/x11vnc.pass. You might want to tweak this according to your needs.
- Create a service that will run on bootup:
sudo vi /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
- Add the following to the file:
Description=x11vnc remote desktop server
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -shared
- Now enable and start the new service using the following commands:
sudo systemctl enable x11vnc.service
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start x11vnc
Check to see if it works and restart your box to double check. I was able to VNC in even when my Xubuntu box was at the login screen. Good luck!