So I have a Xubuntu box, an old PC that was running Windows previously. All is peachy with the Linux install bar one thing: every time I shutdown the system, it shuts down fine, but immediately restarts again. This wasn't happening with Windows and appeared to be an issue particular to Linux or Ubuntu.
Freeplane, a fork of the mind-mapping program, Freemind, works really well. Except for the fact that in my (K)Ubuntu installation, it sometimes hangs in the middle of editing a node. Once it becomes non-responsive, the only fix is to kill the process and restart the program. The version of Freeplane in Ubuntu 18.04 is 1.6.13. However, the current version (March 2019) of Freeplane is 1.7.7. So, it's highly possible that upgrading Freeplane to the latest version will fix this issue.
So I have a couple of routers connected to my network each linking to a different ISP. When an ISP goes down, I want to easily switch ISPs from the command line and these are the couple of lines I use to do so:
Today, I started dabbling in doing some screen recording in Linux and while I could find programs to record the screen, I couldn't get the audio working as I wanted. By default, the programs record either the system audio, or the mic audio (or if the program is shit, neither); they don't record both the system audio and the mic audio. The fix for this on my Kubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) system which uses the Pulseaudio system to manage audio is as follows:
So I've been having trouble getting a Windows program to work in Wine (Windows emulator) on my Kubuntu 16.04 system. It's a simple program but one that requires .NET 3.5. Considering its simplicity, I thought that it'd work fine using just Mono and it did fire up. However, it wasn't terribly usable throwing constant errors and being very buggy. So I had to also install .NET 3.5.
On a fresh Debian 8 (Jessie) install, I found that I couldn't update the package repository using apt because security.debian.org was always timing out. While I initially thought this was because of a mirroring issue oslt, it turns out that it's because I was trying to access it via the IPV6 that my VPS was using. Turns out that the fix is reasonably straightforward. You simply tell apt not to bother with ipv6 and simply use ipv4 … like so:
echo 'Acquire::ForceIPv4 "true";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99force-ipv4
I usually find it a chore to edit the MySQL conf files (as for one, I often have no idea which my.cnf file to edit!) One way to work around this issue, particularly if you want to change a setting temporarily, is to simply enable the change dynamically via the MySQL command prompt. This can be accomplished by modifying "global" variables which can be listed with commands like so:
I ran into the following error while running a script that was performing backups of files via rsync over ssh.
I ran into the following spiel when I attempted to SSH to a host just now:
Setting the timezone of an Ubuntu (14.04, Trusty) or Debian (7, Wheezy) server from the command-line is simple. Just run
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata and follow the on-screen prompts. However, if you are running an unattended installation, you might want to avoid interactive prompts and just gets the job done. To do this, simply run
$ sudo ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Anchorage /etc/localtime
/usr/share/zoneinfo/ to locate your timezone.