So I've been having trouble getting a Windows program to work in Wine (Windows emulator) on my Kubuntu 16.04 system. It's a simple program but one that requires .NET 3.5. Considering its simplicity, I thought that it'd work fine using just Mono and it did fire up. However, it wasn't terribly usable throwing constant errors and being very buggy. So I had to also install .NET 3.5.
On a fresh Debian 8 (Jessie) install, I found that I couldn't update the package repository using apt because security.debian.org was always timing out. While I initially thought this was because of a mirroring issue oslt, it turns out that it's because I was trying to access it via the IPV6 that my VPS was using. Turns out that the fix is reasonably straightforward. You simply tell apt not to bother with ipv6 and simply use ipv4 … like so:
echo 'Acquire::ForceIPv4 "true";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99force-ipv4
I usually find it a chore to edit the MySQL conf files (as for one, I often have no idea which my.cnf file to edit!) One way to work around this issue, particularly if you want to change a setting temporarily, is to simply enable the change dynamically via the MySQL command prompt. This can be accomplished by modifying "global" variables which can be listed with commands like so:
If you encounter,
Could not back up sites directory for drupal
when trying to back up a site using Aegir, then this is because there are some permission issues with some of the files in the sites directory.
In my case, these files were in the
private/temp/ directory. Listing all offending files can be done by the following command:
Edit: Skip this and scroll down for a proper fix!
Just tried installing MongoDB support for PHP on Kubuntu 15.10 via pecl and ran into the following error message which caused the installation to fail:
configure: error: Cannot find OpenSSL's libraries
While this can probably be fixed using some magickery, in my case, I did not want SSL support on a dev server. I just wanted to get the fucker up and running. To this end, I discovered that the issue was that I was using:
So I upgraded my Linux box to the latest Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf!) and it's been an interesting few days ironing out niggles. One of them has been the missing partition manager icon which (IIRC) was present in 14.04 and where I could control which partitions were automounted at login. From the looks of it, there is no easy solution for this like installing a package or some weird Plasma widget. The only solution I was provided on IRC was the following roundabout-borderline-hack:
So if you've just installed or upgraded to the new version of Kubuntu (Wily Werewolf), you will notice that Skype runs fine but does not appear in the system tray as an icon. The workaround to fix this is to install the sni-qt package, but specifically the 32-bit version of the package (as Skype is a 32-bit app). To do this, open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get install sni-qt:i386
This will also install a dependency. Once this is installed, quit Skype and restart it to find the familiar green check in your system tray.
I wanted to add a timestamp to my MySQL command prompt to keep a track of when the previous command on my screen was executed (my mysql window is open all the time). As per MySQL's docs, this can be done with something like:
mysql> prompt [\w, \R:\m]>
PROMPT set to '[\w, \R:\m]> '
(Note that there's a space after the > in the prompt command.)
The other options for the prompt command are:
So here I was happy with my installation of program foo.exe under Wine in Linux (Kubuntu if you must know). All of a sudden, the program starts whining a little, wobbling a touch, and generally exhibiting wonky tendencies. While I could have uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem, there's a neater solution that is only available for Wine users.
If you run into the following error while adding a project into Eclipse from existing source using the New Project dialog,
Cannot create project content in workspace.
then you are very likely trying to create a new Eclipse project that contains Eclipse metadata files from a previous Eclipse project created at the same location. The fix for this is to import this pre-existing project into your workspace using the Import, General, Existing Projects into Workspace option.