Windows 7: High CPU usage due to system interrupts (Deferred procedure calls and interrupt service routines)
Windows 7, much as I enjoy using it (although the shine has worn off a li'l bit), has a few niggles. One of these, which really annoyed me was the sudden seemingly random spike in CPU usage that, once it occurred, never went away until I rebooted the system. The task manager did not list any application as consuming any significant attention from the CPU. However, the resource monitor (which can be reached from the performance tab in the task manager) provided the answer as I found the innocuous sounding "system interrupts" process consuming a steady 40-45% CPU.
I made a mistake earlier today when looking for a GUI application to manage samba shares. I installed the wrong application - gadmin-samba (which is quite fugly and buggy) - instead of system-config-samba which is clean and has worked well for me in the past. gadmin-samba added all sorts of nonsense and in a bid to reset the samba configuration, I nuked the files in
/etc/samba to give system-config-samba something of a fresh slate.
During a fresh install of Windows XP SP3, upon reboot after the initial copying of files, I ran into an error message stating that there were CRC checksum issues with a file on my CD-ROM, namely D:\i386\asms.(sys?). Google divined that I very likely had a problem with the disc media... but considering the fact that I've installed XP using the same media very recently, I doubted this to be the case.
If you've run into the error message KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktorrent' on KDE 4, you are not alone. It appears that this is a KDE Bug that should be resolved in a bug-fix update in the near future. This also apparently affects other applications besides KTorrent.
In my case, when I clicked on a torrent file, the error message cropped up, but the file itself was open fine ...
If you, like moi, just upgraded to Intrepid Ibex, and found that your VLC doesn't work any more, this here is the fix:
- Right click on an audio/video file and select properties.
- Click the edit icon (spanner) to get to the options page.
- Select VLC media player in the application list and click the edit button on the right.
- Select the application tab on the top and look for the command wxvlc on this page.
- Change wxvlc to just vlc. Click OK a few times to save the changes.
... and that's it.
Hope this helps :)
If you are using Skype on Linux and run into the error message "P2P connect failed" while trying to sign in, then your configuration file is very likely corrupt. The fix is to just delete the .Skype directory from your home directory and restart Skype. If you have anything worth saving inside this directory, you can simply rename it instead or alternatively, back it up elsewhere prior to deletion.
The version of Skype on my system is 220.127.116.11 and it was installed (and upgraded) from the Medibuntu repository. I'm pretty certain that the previous version was working fine.
I'm not sure if this was related to my recent install of XP SP3 (I haven't done anything else of note recently...), but I found out today that I was unable to view CHM files on my system. Most of my manuals are stored in CHM format, so, this was something of a pain. While the file itself opened fine, and the content list pane was accessible, the content pane was not; I instead was greeted with a "The page cannot be displayed" error message.
I use SoundKonverter to accomplish all my ripping and trans-coding tasks. It's something of a front-end for all the command-line apps and is a serious time saver.
If you follow the posts on this site, you'd have noticed my issues with the recent Hardy upgrade. While I thought they'd been fixed in my fstab, this was apparently not the case. When I rebooted the machine next, I couldn't even get to the shell as I encountered the message - Unable to execute /bin/sh - Permission Denied.