The latest version of Picasa (v3.9) is armed with Google Plus support. I suppose that this is fine even though Google Plus is inherently evil (albeit not as evil as Facebook). However, the application's camera support is lacking and Google has officially stopped supporting the product under Linux. They've also pulled many of the links and even download sites and archive sites are oddly only providing v3.9. However, Google's own servers continue to (knowingly or unknowingly) host to install file for the admirable robust v3.8. Here it is:
I ran into the following error (or something like it) while setting up Drupal's xmlsitemap module:
public://xmlsitemap/lOtsOfgoBBlDegOOk not found or not writable
This is as expected some kind of permissions issue. Why the module can't sort this on its own, I do not know. As with everything Drupal, clear the cache first to see if that fixes things. It sometimes does. If not, you will need to get your hands dirty on the commandline (if linux):
Here are some postfix queue management commands that I find myself using regularly (on an Ubuntu server):
Fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS: After installed SSHD, I found that logging in remotely was a time-consuming process as the password prompt took ages to pop up after the username prompt. Binging about, I found that this was due to SSHD performing a reverse DNS lookup of my IP to potentially check if all is kosher. Turning this check off fixes the issue:
All those who SSH into servers ought to use GNU Screen. The following is some additional configuration that can be added to a
.screenrc file in your home directory. These lines do wonders to the usability of the system:
I recently had trouble with a MySQL installation in Ubuntu. For some reason or the other, during an upgrade to a newer version of mysql-server, the upgrade script had issues stopping the server and the script failed. This meant that
apt could no longer function as it kept raising a red flag over the broken upgrade with the following instructions:
Instead of having to look up the exact syntax for pscp every time, here's a list of examples for future reference. In these examples, I'm transferring a file (
bar.zip) from a Windows host to a Linux server (with the destination path of
MySQL encoding error: Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, a <...' for column 'body' at row 3
While performing a CSV import recently, I ran into the following error messages:
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, a <...' for column 'body' at row 3
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE6. He ...' for column 'body' at row 24
Warning (Code 1366): Incorrect string value: '\xE9, and...' for column 'body' at row 26
The first message was triggered due to the accented é in the word, protegé, in the input. The rest of the field was not imported. The others were similarly triggered.
During imports and stuff, it's imperative that all steps utilise the same encoding/character set. If a text file is not using the preferred encoding, we can use Vim to change it during its save action as follows:
or if you want to save it to a different file and leave the current file unchanged:
:w ++enc=utf-8 newfile.txt
KTorrent on the LTS release of Kubuntu—Precise Pangolin aka 12.04—is perfectly fine except for the fact that it comes only with version 4.1. Unfortunately, this package is missing a few features that I was looking for, especially the option to add magnet links via its web interface.
Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.3 (the latest version at the time of writing) is pretty straightforward if one is happy to accept PPA sources.